Fully Loaded Bacon & Chicken Soup
This recipe is adapted from the amazing I Breathe I’m Hungry Turbo Atkins Soup – created as part of a low carb keto reset. I enjoyed the flavour so much I thought I would punch it out a little – plus it makes an excellent amount to keep in the fridge for lunches and also have in the freezer for those Cant Be Buggered days.
- 300 grams bacon pieces , chopped
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion , chopped
- 1 Tbsp fresh garlic , minced
- 1/2 cup sundried tomatoes , chopped
- 250 grams sliced white mushrooms
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups celery , chopped
- 900 grams chicken breast , chopped
- 2 cups butternut pumpkin , sliced and quartered
- 1 cup green beans , cut into 1 inch pieces
- 4 cups kale , chopped
- 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup fresh basil , chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
In a large soup pot, cook the bacon and olive oil over medium heat for 2 minutes.
Add the onions, garlic, sundried tomatoes, and mushrooms. Cook for 5 minutes.
Pour in the chicken stock and water, then add the celery and chicken. Simmer for 15 minutes.
Add the pumpkin, green beans, and kale and simmer for 10 minutes.
Add the red wine vinegar and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Stir in the fresh basil just before serving.